Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ubuntu or Debian?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu or Debian?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Soldier View Post
    Now... where do I download the human icon/theme???....
    I'd have thought losing that would have been one of the advantages of installing pretty much any other distribution, haha. ^^

I've been using Debian Etch (stable) for a long while on my desktop; it's a great OS, although I'd probably recommend Debian Lenny (testing) to anyone wishing to use it as a desktop platform with more up to date packages.

Take care.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Illusion View Post
    I'd have thought losing that would have been one of the advantages of installing pretty much any other distribution, haha. ^^

I've been using Debian Etch (stable) for a long while on my desktop; it's a great OS, although I'd probably recommend Debian Lenny (testing) to anyone wishing to use it as a desktop platform with more up to date packages.

Take care.
    I guess I'm one of those few that loves the brown/orange looks

Do you have any real experience with Lenny? How do you rate it's stability against Feisty and Dapper (LTS)?

Beans
    Hidden!

Unfortunately I can't talk from experience in direct relation to the stability against Feisty or Dapper, since I've mainly done the majority of my computing on the "stable" branch which I've found adequate for my own personal needs. I recognize that a lot of people prefer more bleeding edge packages on their desktop systems though which is why I'd recommend people who are looking for that taking a look at the Lenny line over stable, Debian-wise.

Theoretically speaking, Debian Lenny should be more stable than Ubuntu as the code in that branch has been tested slightly more in comparison with the Debian Sid snapshots that Ubuntu take at 6 monthly intervals of code that potentially has not been debugged yet. Lenny would have slightly less up-to-date packages but should, in theory, have the stability over Ubuntu which is, essentially, snapshotted absolute bleeding-edge Debian.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm a Debian Sid user now. Even if it's called as unstable, it's as stable as feisty fawn, which means it's stable as hell
    It's way faster than ubuntu, debian's repo are also great. Everything is really similiar.. You don't only use sudo ( but after few tweaks you can.. ). You just have to switch to root ( by typing 'su' and password ).
    So.. to be honest, I'd recommend 'unstable' Debian Sid for everyone

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you have any real experience with Lenny? How do you rate it's stability against Feisty and Dapper (LTS)?
    I used lenny for a bit and found it to be stable. Then I used sid and found it to be stable also. But then again, Ubuntu Hoary, Breezy, and Feisty were all stable for me.

Then I switched to etch as I didn't feel like even thinking about updates

( but after few tweaks you can.. ).
    And those tweaks are... Edit /etc/sudoers

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567