Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does automation mean, to Ubuntu?

Beans

What does automation mean, to Ubuntu?

Can anyone describe to me the policy, or philosophy even, regarding the automation of technology for Ubuntu in general?

Given that Ubuntu is a technological organization, this type of programming is unique, and distinctive, and ought to have at least a general ideology surrounding it, it's ideal function, or purpose, maybe even it's misuse, or potential to harm ideal systems operations?

These are the kinds of issues I like to think about anyways...the broad issues surrounding the design of operating systems, and programming.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What does automation mean, to Ubuntu?

No one here works for Canonical. We do not set policy, or philosophy of anything.

That would be a question to ask on the Ubuntu Discourse, where many there do work for Canonical. They do not do support there. They just discuss, and talk about things. For example, like your question. It would be a better fit there.

Of course, there, they are a different animal. You join, and you have to build points up by writing quality responses (posts) to threads, before you are even allowed to start your own thread.

Good luck with that.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Ok I understand that you are not employed fiscally, by canonical. But why would I make the assumption that you are?

Beans

Also do you have anything to add in these respects, granted that you are who you are?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to ULOSC.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You asked me personally, so...

As IBM puts it:
    Automation is the application of technology, programs, robotics or processes to achieve outcomes with minimal human input.
    That is a fairly broad area to cover.

I don't think of "automation" in just terms of Ubuntu, or Linux. That is more a concept of Information Technology itself. Many things you can engineer into an automated process. That can be done many ways. That's easier than trying to explain what the "Internet Of Things" (IOT) really is beyond the bussword.

I can quote the Canonical's "Mission Statement" for Ubuntu:
    To bring free software to the widest audience.

That is the vision for Ubuntu and Canonical, which motivates us to enable a wide diversity of open source communities to collaborate under the Ubuntu umbrella.
    Which would then give you the freedom to choose one of many ways to approach that. You aren't locked down to a single path, or perspective.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

So... MAFoElffen, your personal conviction is composed of direct quotes of external sources? I can't believe that's true!

How does Ubuntu treat the matter? How do you think they do? What do you actually think?

I've got my own ideas about it all. I could talk to you for hours and hours about it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ubuntu does not treat any manner of anything. Ubuntu is an inanimate operating system.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

What do you imagine, the automation built into Ubuntu, means to me? One of it's users? Or any of us?

If you were interested, you would ask!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hyperlinxe View Post
    ... the automation built into Ubuntu ...
    Does this mean you are no longer conflating the thing created with those who created it?
    Last edited by QIII; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast